Regarding the discussion of Encarta vs Groliers - We have Groliers,
having had it before Encarta became so popular and common, therefore
sticking with it.  A teacher who got a home computer with Encarta on it
told me last week that when you get past the bells and whistles, she
doesn't think it is all that good as far as information goes.  Liked
Groliers much better.  Also, everyone should read the research regarding
multimedia and what kids learn and retain from it in the current SLMQ.
We better be careful about assuming that kids will learn more and faster
and retain it better from multimedia.  There are facets of the learner
and the product that must be attended to if it is to be effective.

Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home