Betty -

I applaud your stand on teaching the students how to find information
rather than finding it for them. But I've felt for the past few years
that I'm fighting a losing battle! Aides seem not to have the same
attitude -- their mode of operation is service rather than teaching. And
of course almost any student will take information on a platter rather
than do the intellectual work of searching for it.

Even when I get information for the student (you are very lucky to have
teachers consult with you _before_ making an assignment!) because it's an
extremely obscure question, I try to show him/her how I arrived at the
end result.

Keep up the good fight!

Joyce Conklin                      jconkli@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us
Hillsdale High School