I sent this as a private reply to one of our members, but after reading
other messages, I'd like to share my two bits with the list...so here it
is:

While I'm not sure Surfwatch is the answer, I do need something or I'll be
standing over students on the Internet all the time.  Our teenage males are
finding alt.sex.stories, etc., the supermodel site (scantilly clad models),
and the Playboy site.  I've spoken with the teachers who sent them to do
legimate research and they are now not allowed to use the Internet for a
period of time.  However, there's a new crop of them everyday - at lunch
and before/after school.  We are also having a few students MUDing.  I'm
currently allowing that before or after school, but not during the school
day.  Same rule goes for chatting online.  We do not yet have an AUP for
the district.  I guess we'll be working on a building one while the
district dawdles..... :/

Julie Anderson, Librarian                       (206) 813-7301
Kentwood High School                            janderso@kent.wednet.edu
25800 164th Ave SE
Kent, WA  98042                                          Life, liberty, and
the pursuit of happiness are not "Special Rights."

LM_NET Archive Home