Dear Colleagues:
Sorry to have to post this to the entire net, except that you might all
find it interesting (besides the fact that I could not find the address
for the person who requested the info).

The person stated that she had heard a recording of _Indian in the
Cupboard_ by author Lynne Reid Banks in which she distinctly heard her
saying Little Bull rather than Little Bear, as the character appears in
her book.  I lived in England when this book came out, and my son
attended an English school at the time.  His headmaster was reading the
book aloud to the students each morning during assembly.  He loved the
book so much that I bought a copy while living there in England.  I read
the book aloud to both my boys.  The English version has the character
Little Bull, but the name was changed to Little Bear in the American
publication.

However, that was not the only change made in the American version.  In
the English version, you could read another four  letter "h" word for
every time you read "heck" in the American publication.  In some editions
you can even notice a typeset change.  And another entire line has been
changed and the "h" word eliminated altogether in the American edition
where one of the characters asks, "Where have you been?"

Thought you might find all this interesting.  I suppose that even in
1981, American publishers knew that all that dialogue would not fly in
America.  And, personally, I'm glad it was changed.  I wonder how many
teachers would be using it in their classrooms in elementary schools if
it had not been changed.  My real question is this: do you think the book
is of any less literary value, or the story suffers by the elimination of
the offensive language?  I think not.

If anyone wants more information about particular editions that I have
referred to, please e-mail me directly at mchatraw@orangeburg.sc.fred.org
and I will be happy to respond.
Margaret Chatraw    mchatraw@orangeburg.sc.fred.org
Edisto Elementary School   Cordova, SC  29039

<mchatraw@orangeburg.sc.fred.org> -------------- 33.21.57N, 81.15.57W
Margaret Chatraw
Teacher K-12 at Neeses Primary,  1                       Neeses, SC, SC

LM_NET Archive Home