After reading other responses to the 'censorship' issue, I feel I also have
to put my two cents in. I can remember being a young voracious reader whose
father took her to the local branch of the Rochester (NY) public library
every Tuesday night. I'd check out 15 books, read and re-read them, and
bring them back the next Tuesday night. Until the evening I left the
Juvenile area and found what? I can't remember what it was called, but the
'librarian' called it "not appropriate for my age level, and NO! you may
not check out these books!" I went to my dad, and he stormed in and
informed the person behind the desk that if I felt I was ready for 'those
books'  I was. I got the books, and loved them. Twenty four years later,
the same thing happened to my oldest daughter. My turn to have a fit. Soon
it will probably happen to my granddaughter. Hope her mother follows suit!
My point is that children will read what they are ready for, and let them
at it! Compare what is on your shelves with what they see on TV every day!
At least our books try to teach understanding, compassion, kindness...

Faith

LM_NET Archive Home