I find the internet valuable addition to a library's resources.  The
point is though, that it is an supplement, not the end-all resource.  It
bothers me to hear people asking for sites to find various bits if
information that could be found quicker and just as well in a print source
found in most libraries.  Aren't we supposed to be teaching
students to find information and to select the most appropriate sources?
I work part-time in a public library and hate it when a teacher gives an
assignment such as to locate the three highest mountains in the world and
they must only use and encyclopedia - why cripple a student by telling
him he can not use an almanac?
    Think about the time you spend fine-tunning your collection - is it
of no use any more.  Lets make the most of all of our resources.
    PLEASE NOTE:  This is not in response to any one person's comments in
LMNET, it is meant to stimulate discussion.  I do not mean to offend
anyone, just stir us to think.

Frederick Muller,      Halsted Middle School Library
Librarian              59 Halsted Street               voice (201) 383-7554
fmuller@planet.net     Newton, NJ  07860                 FAX (201) 383-7432

LM_NET Archive Home