The 255 tag is the cartographic mathematical data field, required for
maps, etc. in MARC.  It is for data called for in AACR2 Area 3 rules.
The following extracts come from the USMARC Bibliographic Format manual,
Marach 1994:

Subfield a contains the statement of scale, e.g.,
        255 \\ |aScale not given.
     or 255 \\ |aScale [ca. 1:90,000].
     or 255 \\ |aScale [1:6,336,000]. 1" = 100 miles.
Subfield b contains the statement of projection; e.g,
        255 \\ |aScale [ca 1:500,000]; |bConic proj.
Subfield c contains the statement of coordinates, e.g.
        255 \\ . . . |cJ(W 125 [degrees mark]--W 65 [degrees mark]/N49
        [degrees mark]--N25 [degrees mark])
Subfield d contains the statement of zone for celestial charts
Subfield e contains the statement of equinox, e.g.,
        255 \\ |aScales vary |e(Eq. 1986.00)

If you need in-depth help on cataloging maps or anything else, you might
post a question to the AUTOCAT catalogers' list.

Joanna F. Fountain, Ph.D.
Technical Services Librarian, Cataloger
Austin Independent School District
Adjunct Faculty, GSLIS, The Univ. of Texas at Austin
<joanna@tenet.edu>

On 30 Aug 1995, Katharine Bruner wrote:

> To you good and capable catalogers:
>
> In entering materials as "maps" in Follett's program, the 255 tag is
> required.  Although I know it has something to do with the publication or
> production, I can't find its exact meaning in the material at hand.
>
> Does someone know the secret?  TIA
>
> \\"Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution."  Stanley Arnold//
>
>    Katharine Bruner        Brown Middle School        Harrison TN
>    brunerk@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us               fax: 615-344-1471

LM_NET Archive Home