I got in on the end of this conversation, but for my 2 cents. I'm
implementing a 10 cent charge on anything above 5 pages--first 5 free and
encouraging students to download to disk if they want everything under
the sun.  With paper costs doubling, we can't afford the printing of
everything (and I mean everything) they find on aids, gun control, etc.
Some of the teachers are trying to help by enforcing a "no-print, take
notes" rule, but they are fighting a battle. Assignments which read:
collect 5 current event articles on "such and such" drive me crazy. I
wonder if anything is done with the materials when the students leave the
library. There is often no hint of further use of the materials and the
teacher(s) have not clued me in on the extented assignment. BTW the
charge is on the honor system--we'll see how that works.

Sandy Barron                 Tomball High School
sbarron@tenet.edu                      30330 Quinn Road
713-357-3219                            Tomball, Texas 77375
FAX 713-357-3252             "making the difference with information science"

On Wed, 23 Aug 1995, Betty Dawn Hamilton wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 1995, Roselle_Weiner wrote:
> > >
> > Surely the kids don't hand the print outs fully to the teacher surrounded
> > by a few words they sweated out themselves...right?
>
> Oh yes, Roselle, they *do* try to hand the full print outs in as their
> papers!  Last year I watched a young man print out an encyclopedia
> article and then grab a pen to write his heading.  When I asked,
> curiously, what he was doing, he said he needed a book report -- NOW.
>
> Of course, the teacher immediately recognized it for what it was
> (copyright statement and all!), but it was a student in *9th* grade, not
> some young elementary student.  Yes... they try ....
>
> Betty
> bhamilt@tenet.edu
> Brownfield, Texas

LM_NET Archive Home