When we were faced with this decision, we decided to convert our existing
waist-high (give or take inches or so) card catalogs (2) to standing units
for our incoming OPACs. We turned the very nice card units around, added
a lip large enough to hold keyboards, and were able to place 6 CPUs on
the tops of the NEW furniture. We also offer 2 sit-down OPACs for those
who prefer, or need, to sit. We have full capacity use quite often and
have had NO negative feedback (I think that must make a Positive!), and
more than one problem was solved. That old card catalog was/is a
beautiful piece of furniture which is still an integrated part of our
library.

Carol Mackey
Mountain View HS
Vancouver, WA
cmackey@egreen.wednet.edu

On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Dennis Vroegindewey wrote:

> In one of our high schools we are considering whether to have stand up
> stations for our OPACs, or one with chairs.  An argument has been made that
> students will make inefficient use of their time if they are allowed to
> sit, causing a back-up of waiting patrons.  Others think standing is not
> conducive to learning.
>
> Has anyone wrestled with this issue?
>
> Dennis Vroegindewey
> Paterson School District