Linda wrote:
>Sorry it has taken me so long to post this hit.  I received 32 responses to
>my request for information on free or inexpensive Internet access for
>educators or schools provided by local or state government.  Most of the
>state Internet services are text based

>West Virginia:  Bell Atlantic is providing access for all schools where their
>service is available until December 1996.

Not to brag, but this is a  multi-million dollar project of Bell-Atlantic (which
serves 85% of the state) with the West Virginia Dept. of Education.
It provides direct link 54K or T1 lines, routers, software, plus all fees, etc.
Plus each school is able to send two teachers to a three day training
session (now done by those of us who were trained in the pilot project)
so they can in turn train others at their schools.  WVDE offers help with
other telephone providers, some of whom are offering similar deals now.
They also offer money for schools to wire LANS.

We have full access to all areas of the internet.  Many schools have developed
Web sites.  Bell Atlantic also sponsors a grant program (up to $10,000 each) to
promote creative telecommunications technology and collaborative learning
in the classroom.    They also wave toll charges that educators may have when
seeking home access to an internet provider.

This is a wonderful opportunity that others states may want to pursue with
business partners.

For more information, check out the Bell Atlantic World School homepage at
http://www.bell-atl.com/wschool/
The WVDE homepage is http://access.k12.wv.us/

-------------------------------------
Name: Mary Beckelhimer