Hi,
     We are automating our library with Follett Unison.  I have the Allaince
Plus program for MARC records.  Our 8000 book collection is barcoded and we
began entering data on January 4, 1996.  We have finished all the fiction and
are well into the 300's.  I feel we're doing fine, but I'm new at this.
     I have a 4 hour technician and we handle all textbooks, A.V.,classroom
periodicals etc.  Closing the library was not an option. We serve a school of
1050 students.
     PROBLEM:  The principal and PTA (they purchased the equipment) want the
library up an running NOW!
     QUESTIONS:
   *I am making full MARC records, evenwhen I have to do original entries, is
this foolish?
   *Have any of you used PTA volunteers to enter data using Alliance Plus etc.?
   *Should I go ahead and begin using the automatic circulation system,
eventhough the library books aren't all entered, so it looks like we are
getting somewhere?
   *How long should it take to automate an 8000 book collection (previously
barcoded) given our staff size and circumstances?

    Thanks so much for your help.  Our district does not give us technical
support and we don't even have a district librarian.  You are all I have (sob,
sob).
    TIA   Jo

jtrauge@cello.gina.calstate.edu

LM_NET Archive Home