fdilling@tenet.edu
From: Betty Dawn Hamilton <bhamilt@tenet.edu>

> Approx. cost per ID
       FREE!

> Does the ID contain the student's barcode?
       *I* make the bar codes and put them on the cards. Then the office
       secretary puts each card through a pocket laminator that puts the
       stiff lamination on it.

> Quality of the picture on the ID card
       Good -- exactly the same as the school picture -- just smaller.

> Are CD-Rom photos provided?
       We haven't asked, but we will.  (Good idea!)

> Extra Costs?
       None for the cards except for lamination pockets.

> Extra equipment needed by the school
       One of those little heated laminating machines designed for
       drivers license, etc.

> How are new students and replacement ID cards handled?
      They come to me for a Polaroid picture to be taken.  I make two
      barcodes and paper clip the picture to them and send them to the office.
      The school secretary uses blank ID card stock and creates a card
      for the new student.

> How much do students pay for a replacement?
       $3.00 paid to the office.  I made a form for them to use as a
       "temporary" ID card (like a temporary license) so we don't have to
       make IDs every day.  The secretary does them only on Fridays.

> Are students given a new card every year?
       So far....yes.

> Also include a statement of your overall rating of the services provided
> by the photographer.
       Excellent. The problem we have had is that some students just
       choose not to have their pictures made.  I had to do so many
       polaroids last year because they didn't and didn't get an ID card
       as a result, that we are going to CHARGE them this year.  If they
       are here and just make the decision not to have their pictures made,
       then they won't get a FREE one! Of course, if they check into
       school after the last re-takes are made, then we'll do
       their first card for free.

From: Joyce Conklin <jconkli@smcoe-ns.ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us>
On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Frankie Dilling wrote:

> Please include the name of the company
        The Right Image (local company)
> Approx. cost per ID
        No cost to school or students**
> Does the ID contain the student's barcode?
        Yes
> Quality of the picture on the ID card
        Excellent
> Are CD-Rom photos provided?
        Yes
> Extra Costs?
        None
> Extra equipment needed by the school
        None for initial ID cards; they (the picture company) gave us a
        small laminator for the replacement

> How are new students and replacement ID cards handled?
> How much do students pay for a replacement?
        Librarian has blanks; requests picture from student; adds new barcode
        (replaces barcode in library automation system) and laminates
        (pockets and blank cards supplied by the picture company)

> Are students given a new card every year?
        Yes, because it also is used for athletics admission

> Also include a statement of your overall rating of the services provided
> by the photographer.
        Excellent. They don't charge for the ID cards because they figure
        to get their money from the sale of picture packets to the students.
        They also do the photo work for the year book, and there's a charge
        for that service too, so they aren't just doing it for the love of
        public education!! <ggg>

From: Carolyn Roys <ghslib@geneseo.net>

>Does the photograph company make the ID's for you?
       YES. IT IS THE YEARBOOK COMPANY AND TO GET THE YEARBOOK CONTRACT,
       THEY PRODUCE ID'S IN RETURN.

>Are they free?
       YES.

>Are they not previously laminated by the photography company?
       NO.  NOT LIKE YOU THINK.
       THERE IS A CLEAR COAT OVER THEM BUT NOT A LAMINATE.
       What we do is grab the ID's when they come in put a barcode on the
       back and then laminate them with the machine we bought for 300 dollars.

>Do you print out your own barcodes?
       YES, WITH WINNEBAGO.

       Time is precious, but I have 3+ library student helpers every hour
       and this is something important they enjoy doing.

       IT IS TIME CONSUMING BUT I DO IT FOR MY AUTOMATED SYSTEM.
       NO CARD, NO CHECK OUT.
       THE STUDENTS MAY ALSO USE THEIR LIBRARY CARD FROM
       ANY OF 40 AREA LIBRARIES.

From: Melissa Davis <mbdavis@tenet.edu>

Preface: the ID cards we receive aren't given to the students. We keep
them in a rolodex in the library (middle school students never remember
to bring the cards with them and since that's how we make sure they are
who they say they are, we have to have it). Several years ago we did give
them to the kids, but our student council produced them not the picture
company.

> Please include the name of the company
        Provine Studios (Houston)
> Approx. cost per ID
        Nothing. Nada. Zip. Free (or at least the cost is buried in the
        price the students pay for their packages
> Does the ID contain the student's barcode?
        Not as we receive it. We print patron barcode labels and put them
        on the card ourselves
> Quality of the picture on the ID card
        Exactly the same photo as is printed in the yearbook and about the
        same size
> How are new students and replacement ID cards handled?
        If the student enrolls prior to the "picture make-up day" they
        get the same one everyone else got. For those who enroll after that,
        we make a rolodex card with their barcode on it but WITHOUT a picture.
> How much do students pay for a replacement?
        Because we keep the card, there isn't a need for replacements.
> Are students given a new card every year?
        Yes, since they don't cost us anything.
> Extra equipment needed by the school
        None except for printing the barcode labels. And we do that for
        our materials anyway.
> Extra Costs?
        None
> Are CD-Rom photos provided?
        I think they could be, but we don't use them.

> Also include a statement of your overall rating of the services provided
> by the photographer.
        I haven't heard any complaints, but then I wouldn't necessarily.
        There has been some comments about the cost of the packages being
        too high but I don't have anything to compare it to.

LM_NET Archive Home