Hello all--

I just wanted to share something I tried this year which was a great success.

When I had the student in to check out books and review rules and
procedures the first week, I used animals to demonstrate the rules rather
than just do them verbally.

For example: we started by saying we didn't want any animal behavior in
the library.  I had a group of stuffed animals: lion (use quiet voices;
no roaring please); a toad (move properly; no hopping, jumping or
running); a gorilla (be sure you have a purpose for being here; no
hanging around); a bear (be careful with your books; no pawing through
them); a monkey (I used Curious George and emphasized curiosity is good
but no monkey business, please!); and an elephant (elephants never
forget--be a good elephant and bring your books back on time).

This seemed to take the "negative edge" off the rules and of course they
loved the stuffed animals.

Pat Wassink
Colfax Elementary School
601 University Ave.