Dear LM_NET Colleagues,

  On Monday of this week our list included over 6,000 members for the very
first time. This is a new milestone for LM_NET. Many of those addresses
are reflected out to groups large and small, giving us an estimated
readership total of more than 10,000. Needless to say, we will need to be
aware of using proper e-mail etiquette in such a large, yet intimate
group.

  These Guidelines are a way to help us continue making the most
effective use of LM_NET. We hope that all who are subscribed or are
otherwise reading the list will use them conscientiously.

   *Please note the section toward the bottom which is especially for
producers, authors, speakers, plus conference, workshop, or seminar
organizers, consultants, and other vendors of products or people promoting
causes.

a. Please assist us in managing LM_NET by keeping your e-mailbox
available for incoming messages. Many of our 5,000+ LM_NET subscribers
have e-mailbox size limits. When the limits are exceeded, messages are
returned to LM_NET senders. Sometimes hundreds of such messages return to
LM_NET administration in a day. This means that we must drop those persons
from LM_NET, a lengthy process, since we first have to scan each "bounced"
message, and delete it.

b. In the event that you will be changing, dropping or losing your e-mail
service, please be so kind as to first sign off from LM_NET, to avoid
having us receive scores of returned messages due to "user unknown".

   For a temporary suspension of LM_NET mail, send the message "set
LM_NET nomail" (without the quotes) to:  LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
   To resume participation, send the message "set LM_NET mail" (without
the quotes) to: LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

Here are our LM_NET Netiquette Guidelines:

1. All postings over 75 lines long (approximately four screens' length)
must be approved in advance by the LM_NET moderators.

   All courses, programs, conference or workshop announcements or
registrations, as well as surveys, etc., require advance approval before
posting.  A preferred way (not needing approval) is to briefly describe
the "item" in the message, and indicate where to obtain the form or
detailed information (i.e., WWW, phone call, etc).

2. Never post a message to the group which would not be of interest to
thousands of people. It is considered wasteful of the time of list members
to be pestered with meaningless (to them) messages which are of value only
to a small number of people. LM_NET is _not_ a newsgroup, where people
reply to each other routinely posting to the group.

3. Chain letters or messages requesting mass mailings to other addresses
are strictly forbidden, as are spams and commercial postings (plus notices
about the "Craig Shergold postcard request" or the "Good Times Computer
Virus" -- Internet legends.)

  If in doubt, please check with one of the LM_NET owners before posting
"alarming" warnings to the group.
  Owners:  pmilbury@ericir.syr.edu or mike@ericir.syr.edu

4. Be sure of the address you have typed. Did you intend it for all
LM_NET members to read? Or were you sending a command to the listserv
(i.e., to set NOMAIL, SIGNOFF, DIGEST, etc.)
   The listserv address is: LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
   To post to LM_NET, use: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

5. Think before you post. Do I really want to say this to the entire world
(and have it posted to the LM_NET Archives as well?) Reread what you
wrote. Did you really say what you intended to? Once a message is sent, it
can't be retrieved. Sending to the individual or to the entire group is an
important consideration.

   Normally, please send only to the individual person who requested the
information. If they receive a lot of replies, they will probably post
them to the group.

6. When replying to an LM_NET message, please do *not* include the entire
message quoted. Paraphrasing or quoting selectively are both kinder to
people's eyes and e-mail boxes and it is also kinder to persons with CTS
or tendonitis. Brevity saves money for those who are paying for their
time online.

7. Be _extremely_ careful when replying to the sender of an LM_NET
message. Many e-mail systems will automatically send your reply to the
entire list of LM_NET members if you simply use a reply command. When an
individual asks a question that you can answer, just send it to the
individual who posted the original message to which you are responding.
Imagine how it would feel to have a very "personal" or revealing message
read by thousands of people!

8. Requests for information: LM_NET has developed a policy of sending
information privately to the requester. The requester then summarizes to
the list. This can cut down on traffic, but it tends to reduce the "give
and take" that some lists value. See the LM_NET TARGET/HIT--information
for the LM_NET policy, in the "Welcome to LM_NET" message you received.

9. Please include a subject line in your postings (a good idea for ALL
e-mail). The LM_NET "Welcome" document has a list of highly recommended
subject headings. The use of these headings allows members to efficiently
handle the high number of postings to the group each day.

10. At the end of your message, include your name and your electronic mail
address (this is your electronic "signature".) Because it can be difficult
to interpret e-mail addresses, you are strongly encouraged to include your
institutional affiliation. Many LM_NET members are not able to identify
the address of the message sender unless it is included in the body of the
message. Ask your network manager if there is an automatic way of
including a "signature" in your messages. Most are able to do so.

11. Long signatures are discouraged. They may be humorous the first time,
but get old quickly (and take up valuable net bandwidth and computer
space). Some folks tire of the time spent having to skim over them. 2-5
lines should be sufficient to include any necessary information.

12. Flames: a "flame" is an emotionally charged posting, and is often
directed at someone. Be sure you really want to post it, and remember
that LM_NET does not tolerate flames. We will immediately drop members
posting rude, inflammatory or grossly inappropriate messages.

13. To signal humorous intent, use some sort of "smiley", such as :-).
Facetiousness and sarcasm can be misunderstood easily in electronic
communication. (See Arlene Rinaldi's excellent Netiquette Guidelines:
http://www.fau.edu:80/rinaldi/net/index.htm or an Australian offering
at:  http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/netiquet.htm

14. Please be considerate of others. Through inexperience or limited local
software, list members may inadvertently violate these guidelines. A
private message to the offender from an experienced friend or from the
list owners is more appropriate than a public flame. Our LM_NET
Hospitality Committee may have already contacted the person regarding the
inappropriate posting.

15. Keep each line in your message shorter than 70 characters. Longer
lines can cause problems with some e-mail systems. Before sending, check
your message for typos and other errors that may make it hard for others
to read or understand. Hot tip: USING ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED YELLING.
Save this style for a special occasion.

16. LM_NET has its own character, just like any "real" grouping of people
(such as a party, or a meeting). The list functions best when people
respect the character of the list. It's also good to respect the
differences among list members and have a certain tolerance for our
individual eccentricities. It is recommended that folks new to the group
"lurk" awhile, getting a feel for what is appropriate.

17. Please participate! Your ideas are important. Just because you think
everyone knows something doesn't mean they do. If you're not sure, send
the posting to an experienced friend on the list (or the list owner) to
see if the information may be valuable.

*Especially for producers, authors, speakers, plus conference, workshop, or
seminar organizers, consultants, and other vendors of products or people
promoting causes.

17. Posting commercial messages without the prior approval of the list
owners is prohibited and will not be tolerated. Violators will be dropped
from LM_NET immediately. If producers, or any list member, are uncertain
of the appropriateness of a message to be posted, they should feel free to
contact one of the LM_NET owners.

Please note: An excellent, more appropriate avenue to reach educators with
commercial announcements exists through the AskERIC Information service of
the ERIC Clearinghouse on Information Resources.

     Please check:  http://ericir.syr.edu/Virtual/Announcements/

18. You should feel free to engage in general theoretical discussions
about the list topic, but should refrain from turning their replies into
commercials for your own products or causes. Your signature file should
not contain commercial promotions either (i.e., "See our Web page for our
latest specials.")

19. If a user posts the question "I'm looking for a program that does X,
Y, and Z", it is OK to reply directly to the individual. If a user posts
the question "Does anyone have information about program X?", the
producer of program X should send information directly to that person by
e-mail rather than posting the information to the list. If the person
finds value in your product, they will probably share their pleasure with
the other LM_NET members.

20. Producers should not cold-contact LM_NET members as a result of
obtaining their e-mail addresses from LM_NET postings, or from the LM_NET
members list, or from the LM_NET Archives. Those that do so will be
dropped from the list, and their lack of etiquette will be publicized on
LM_NET. This is not the place to build your customer list.

21. Producers should avoid negative comments about their competitors'
products.

Thank you for your cooperation! Please feel free to contact us if you
have any questions about LM_NET Etiquette. We are glad to have you with us.

Peter Milbury                 and        Mike Eisenberg
pmilbury@ericir.syr.edu                  mike@ericir.syr.edu

LM_NET: Serving the school library media community since June 1992.

LM_NET Archive Home