But the two messages are coming from 2 different levels. A high school
library would naturally be open from day one, and would undoubtedly see
less traffic (individual or class). The elem. library would be open from
day one and should expect to see classes (if on a fixed schedule), or
children checking out materials.
I don't believe that the K-12 program in
the library world is or should be expected to be the same. And I
say that based on the experience of working at elem., middle, and
senior high campus libraries over a 16 year period. Differing
expectations for different levels. Getting books into young readers'
hands is critical-we lose too many through the cracks, and libraries can
be that wonderful place where a love of reading begins and is nurtured.

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Betty Dawn Hamilton wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Cathy Louise Roach wrote:
>
> > can say that my priority the first week of school is NOT circulating
> > books.  I know that many of you disagree with me and that is the way it
> > should be because I would hope that with all our individual circumstances
> > and strengths and weaknesses, we are all doing the very best we can at
> > any given moment!
>
> Good message, Cathy.  Yes, our library is *open* from the very first day
> of school and a *few* students ask to check out books which is allowed, of
> course.  However, I don't *solicit* checkouts or classroom visits until we
> get our feet on the ground, so to speak.
>
> Actually, the teachers are doing the same thing.  They are forming
> classroom routines for students and generally prefer to keep that
> routine for a couple of weeks before adding the excitement of a library
> visit -- and I am proud to say that even at high school level, students
> enjoy the "out of routine" library visit, whether it's to use the
> computers in the library lab or to browse the shelves and check out books
> or to do some kind of research.
>
> We *do* try to get the freshmen classes into the library as early as
> possible because they are new to the campus, and some haven't located the
> library yet!
>
> One thing I must say, though.  I am luckier than many librarians because
> not only do we have a full-time adult library aide to help me with
> "opening" duties, but we also have a computer lab aide who knows
> computers. I really can't, in good conscience, put off ANYONE when my
> school provides that kind of assistance!  If I worked alone, however, it
> would be a different story.  I know how busy *3* of us stay; I can't
> imagine how I would manage with just ME!
>
>                                 .----.
> Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
> bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
> Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
>                                   \     {
>                                     \  }
>                                       ~

LM_NET Archive Home