In a message dated 96-11-30 18:17:17 EST, Jann Tankersley wrote:

<< Date:    Sat, 30 Nov 1996 15:14:07 -0700
 From:    dayton grade school <daytong@MAIL.YAMHILLESD.K12.OR.US>
 Subject: Internet training video recommendation

 I would like to purchase a video (or a set) to introduce my 5th and 6th
 graders to the Internet.  I have received advertisements for several--can
 anyone recommend one that they really like? I really value the opinions of
 others on this listserv--you have given me good advice in the past. TIA!!
 P.S. I just received my new copy of Technology Connection in which several
 videos were reviewed. I didn't see "Kids on the Internet" by Michael Wiese
 Productions (recommended on the Kathy Schrock's Educators' page) mentioned.
 Anyone use this one?
 jann tankersley
 dayton grade school
 daytong@mail.yamhillesd.k12.or.us >>

Technology connection reviewed the videos by RMI Media Productions, Inc.
1-800-745-5480  titled Crusin' the Information Highway:  Findin' the Onramp
and Gettin Up to Speed series.

I have not personally seen the videos done however, they have a publishing
company, Vision to Action with Annette Lamb, Larry Johnson, and Nancy Smith.
 I do know the quality of their textbooks.  Their textbooks are excellent and
I am certain that the videos would be the same quality.  I use the Cruisin'
the Information Highway text for one Integrating the Internet Course that I
teach on-line and I will use the Surfin the Internet:  Practical Ideas for
K-12 Classrooms for a new course that I will teach on-line in January.  The
writing is all in terms that people can understand.  They are good people to
deal with as well.  The video titles match the book titles and sight unseen,
I would recommend them to any user.

Another plus for the Surfin' the Internet is that there are several skills
worksheets like mindmaps, thematic planning, topicing, etc that connect very
well to the Information Process Approaches such as Big Six by Mike Eisenberg
and Bob Berkowitz, FLIPit! by Alice Yucht, and the Follett Company's model by
M. Pappas and A. Tepe.   Within the texts, they cite Pappas, Tepe, and
Kuhlthau which shows that they are writing from the Information Process
Approach philosophy.

Bottom line, I would certainly check out the videos further as I am certain
they are of quality.   I am happy to give more information about the courses
I teach using these texts as well as any more information about the texts by
these people if anyone is interested.  Just e-mail me directly.

Tami Little
TLittle844@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home