To Fran and all:

Yes, the information about the P-TRAX database is for real.  We were
informed about it through a library group in Western NY.  You do need
to call and have your information deleted, but you no longer have to
leave your SS# to do so.

People also might consider contacting their state and federal
legislators, as well as their state attorney general's office.  I sent
letters to them and the response I got was very positive.  Apparently,
Federal legislation is being discussed regarding electronic access to
personal information, so, its very important that the public inform
our elected representatives of our feelings on the subject.

Additionally, Jane Bryant Quinn, in her regular column (which appears
in our local newspaper) wrote that the three major credit reporting
agencies, TRW, Equifax and one other, also sell certain information to
companies which send out those pre approved credit card applications.
she included instructions on how to get your name off each of those
lists.

Carolyn Gierke
Sweet Home HS

LM_NET Archive Home