If you can help answer these questions for the librarians who are
struggling to run their elementary libraries this year and at the same
time plan and stock their new middle schools next year, I'd appreciate it
very much. (Someday districts are going to realize that two full-time
jobs at once is too much to ask of people.) Please send replys to Chuck
Woodfin at Homestead Elementary <woodfin_chuck@msmail.asd.k12.ak.us>.
Thanks,

Della Matthis, School Library Coordinator
Alaska State Library, Anchorage, Alaska

Library Automation Questions
Our situation:

Two librarians in Anchorage school district are preparing to open two new
middle schools in fall of 1997.  The final capacity of these schools is about
1000 students.  One school is grades 7-8, the other grades 6-8.

Follett Unison will be our library management software.

>From a library server, will offer a variety  of electronic references which we
want available to workstations in the library and 150-200 workstations in the
classrooms and computer lab.

We are planning to have a CD tower with 16 drives to deliver software  such as
LaserCat, World Book, Bookshelf, SIRS, Newsbank, Middle Search, UXL products
and Granger's poetry.  We are most interested in accessing the text and still
graphics from these products with the sound and motion picture components a
secondary consideration.  Internet and online capability will be available at
each workstation, but may not be enabled at each workstation.

We are considering a variety of options for a library management and CD
server:
Macintosh server and workstations.
Novell or NT server with a combination of Macintosh and PC workstations.

Your Situation:

How is  your situation similar and different from ours?

What server and workstation configuration did you choose for library
management and CD's?  Why?

What network software are you using?  Why?

Do you have any experience or advice on mixing server and workstation
platforms?

What are the hardware specifications for your server and workstations:  RAM?
Processor Speed?  Hard drive capacity?

If you wouldn't mind receiving a phone call, would you include a phone
number in your reply?  I'd love to talk to you.

Chuck Woodfin
Homestead Elementary, Eagle River Alaska

LM_NET Archive Home