On 30 Dec 1996, Melvin P. Lader wrote:

> book in a short period of time by splitting up the reading into small
> group sessions, with each group reading part of the book, and then somehow
> drawing the whole book together with the whole class.

Hello Melvin and Group,

One of our former teachers used to refer to this as "jigsawing".  I don't
know if that is a term that he coined or if he learned it from some
reading discussion.  Anyway, he suggested that since we educators
often do not have enough time left from lesson planning and grading to
keep current with our reading that we "jigsaw" books and get together to
discuss them -- or even to "teach" each other about "our" section of the
book.

That's a great idea, but we never tried it, and he's moved on. If anyone
else has done that with professional reading, how did it work out?  Did
you find it helpful?

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home