Since this has not yet died a peaceful death, I'll throw in my two cents worth.

Regardless of the label used (pragmatism etc) censorship is still censorship.  A
rose by any other name may still smell as sweet, but so does a skunk.

There are too many misguided people out there already trying to impose their own
values and tastes on all librar users.  We don't need to help them out by doing
this ourselves.

I fear the first step, no matter how well intentioned will lead to other self
imposed censorship--what comes after SI?--Judy Blume, THE WISH GIVER, WHERE'S
WALDO, Roald Dahl, etc etc.

Personally, I would feel hipocritical pulling the SI swimsuit issue and then
defending, or asking others to defend, whatever book the wackos object to next.

I don't subscribe to SI, but SI FOR KIDS.  However, in the past, I have been
involved in several unpleasant censorship battles.

Tom

PS:  Remember that to diminish one person's freedom diminishes everyone's
freedom.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact quotation or author.

Tom Neyer
Wagonwheel Elementary School
800 Hemlock
Gillette, WY  82716