I have been paying attention to the people on the subways in NYC.  Did you
know that elementary school students are often imitating their parents
especially during the rush hours?  they sit or stand with their current
paperback open and eyes glued to the page.  There is less of the headphones
routine, at least on the lines (1 & 9, 2 & 3) I ride back and forth to
school.  This morning, I watched a youngster with one of the Goosebumps
books.  He even had it open as he walked up the stairs at 14th Street.
I'd like to be more hopeful than I was a few years back.
Let them read!!!  Whatever they will read is better than being a passive
couch potato.  I am not worried about their selection of material half as
much as I am that they get the things that they want to read.  It will be
sorted out later.  I read the Bobbsey twins...and majored in 19th Century
English Literature in college.
Take heart.
Sr. MV
--
Sister Mary Veronica,CHS      "Give what you have to someone -
Xavier High School             it may be greater than you dare

LM_NET Archive Home