>I have been reading the various messages related to genre in fiction.  Maybe
>I am confused but I thought fiction was a genre like plays, essays, short
>stories, biographies etc.  Seems to me what people are discussing are
>themes or categories within fiction. Maybe this is an unimportant point,
>but if we are teaching kids terminology shouldn't we be using correct
>terminology?
>
>Ellen Jay
>mejay@umd5.umd.edu

"Genre:  1)  a class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular
form, content, technique, or the like: *the genre of epic poetry; the genre
of symphonic music.*  .... 5) of or pertaining to a distinctive literary
type."  (from the Random House dictionary of the English language, 2nd ed.)

I believe both uses of the word are correct given these definitions.
Horror fiction has its own set of techniques, content, etc., as does
science fiction, as does....  You get the point.  When I was in library
school the words "genre fiction" were used together to mean these
categories.  Perhaps it would be most correct to say "sub-genre."  But then
again, language is not a dead object, but a living and evolving thing.  I'd
say go with the flow!  :)

Julie Anderson, Librarian                (206) 813-7301
Kentwood High School                    janderso@kent.wednet.edu
25800 164th Ave SE
Kent, WA  98042                                   Life, liberty, and the
pursuit of happiness are not "Special Rights."

LM_NET Archive Home