Dear LM_Netters,

Several days ago I requested advice on activities that had been working well
in a K-2library/media program.   (My elementary library program revolves
around a 6-day scheduile so some of the ideas shared relate specifically to
that kind of program).

I also have a six day schedule for my library classes  for grades K-2.  I
also see each class twice during the cycle for 30 minutes each.  The way I
divide up the time is as follows: one of the times I have book day.  That is
the day that they sign out books.  On that day we also have what we call
stations.  The students have a chance to choose anactivity; for example,
using the tape players, working at an  illustrator table where they draw
pictures,
or an author table where they write a story or copy words, a puppet corner,
bean bags to take any where in the Library to read, etc.  The second time
that I see them is story orinstruction time.  We have had this schedule for
at least three years and it has worked outwell.
______________
I have had much success with my 2nd grades with an activity which I
originally found somewhere on the 'net.  You need a clothesline, clothes
pins and some cards (I found some fluorescent approx. 4" x 12" strips of
heavy paper).  On the cards write the title, first three letters of the
author's last name and either FIC or Dewey #.  Distribute one "book" card to
each student and practice, as a group, putting books in order on the
clothesline" bookshelf."  My aide laminated the cards so they should hold up
for some time.  A related activity is to make fish shaped "books" with the
same information.  Attach a paperclip to each fish and rig up a fishing pole
with a magnet as a hook.  Have the kids take turns
fishing for a particular book (title, fiction, nonfiction).  The kids love it!
___________
Reading and acting out poems and songs is always popular with the Ks in my
school. There are many "action" poems, songs, fingerplays that fit into
themes.  Just to mention one, I always do The Three Little Kittens in the
fall.  After they have heard it two or three times, there are always
volunteers to "act" the parts of the Mother Cat, the Kittens and the
Rat/Mouse.  Some children can even speak their parts after only a few
readings. Others can do it with some prompting from the teacher.  You can do
this several times in
one session with different children taking the roles.  The audience seems to
enjoy each presentation.
______________________
Continue to read each time they come. Start introducing skills along with
the reading. I recommend a two books that will help. I can't take the time
to send you all our curriculum.  "Hooked on Library Skills: a sequential
activities proagram for grades k6" by Marguerite Lewis.  The center for
applied Research in Education. a division of Simon & Schuster.  West Nyack,
New York 10995 ISBN 087628408x

"Skills for life: library information literacy for grades k6. Linworth
Publishing, Inc. Worthington, Ohio
______________________
Have them make a story map of the story you have read the previous session.

Have them draw a picture of previous story each week change the element so
you can teach elements characters, setting, problem, favorite part
solution.

Do a poem related to previous story

Play "around the world" with alphabet Kindies can do letter recognition
older kids can do "letter after",  "letter before"

Do a poem related to topic

Book talk books on related subject

Book talk the author's other books

Act out the story

Play audio or video tape of author

have them "partner read"

have them give short oral reviews of the book they returned

Each week pick a different part of the book to have them find in their book
and show it to you.  title page,  about the author, index, place of publication

Ask the teachers if the kids have any favorite reading games they like

Ask the kids

Read the story again, ask what they saw the second time they didn't the
first

Discussuss the illustrations in terms of art, color, line,shape, medium.

Well, about the "fun stuff" for the early grades. Some ideas I've used this
year:
a basket of sock puppets, and enough EASY poetry books so each 2 students
can share
one, is a hit in my libraries.  I bought a couple of packs of cheap tube sox
at Walmart,
sewed on button eyes, a bead for a nose, and a pompom of bright yarn for a
silly topknot
of hair.  I pair off the students and give each pair two puppets and one
book.  They find a
cozy corner, plop down on their tummies, and take turns "letting their
puppets read aloud"
to each other.  I've been using multiple copies of the Jack Prelutsky
holiday poetry books,
"It's Halloween", "It's Thanksgiving," and I can hardly wait for "It's
Valentine's Day."
You should see the smiles when the students who are coming in for library
time see that
puppet basket!
        Also, I've used David McKee's great picturebook "ELMER" with all my K-2
classes.  Afterwards, I have each student decorate an elephant (I traced one
from the book and xeroxed) with markers.  I cut them out and have put them
up all around the library, trunk-to-tail like a parade of elephants.  I put
them on the walls just below the ceiling so it looks like a wallpaper
border---I've gotten lots of compliments on it and the kids love to spot
their own elephant in the parade.
___________________
Of course, fingerplays and choral speaking and reading of poems. Also,
little booktalks on specific authors or subjects, (showing all Ezra Jack
Keats Books, or a broad range of books about various PETS, or a genre such as
adventure stories (at this level) or poetry or how-to books. Books having to
do with the season or holiday or anything topical are nice to booktalk too. I
like to preselect books for this age group to some extent to guide their book
selection.
________________
I have been working with the teachers and try to read books and so activities
which are integrated into the curriculum.  Since the Kindergarten teachers do
one letter a week,  I read a book which has something to do with the letter
of the week.  This week I read _The Queen's Goat_ (it's Q week) and the kids
made crowns.  All of the students walked around as kings and queens.  Next
week is R week and I'm reading a raccoon story and we're making raccoon paper
bag puppets (which are gorgeous).  The first grade is working on a unit on
the senses-this week I read _How My Parents Learned to Eat_-we ate popcorn
with chopsticks after (taste and smell).  I am doing an author unit on Tomie
Depaola with the second grade starting next week.  This week I read _Jack and
the Beanstalk_ and _Jim and the Beanstalk_-then we did 2 Venn Diagram
comparisons-one comparing the giants and one comparing Jack and Jim.

LM_NET Archive Home