Barb Ehlers on Feb. 1 asked for suggested reading for third
grade "to help steer them away from chapter books that are
too hard for them.

Here are some of my favorite easy chapter books.  I classify them
at fiction, but keep some of them in a revolving collection I
call "Exhibit 3" (with a yellow card in the pocket behind the
sign-out card to signal us to shelve in Ex.3). Kids
needing easy chapter books don't have to plow through all the
fiction shelves that way, and the books I've chosen find their
way back to the exhibit.

Of course, this presupposes that you
open every book to the back before shelving---probably not done
by those of you who are automated and don't have to check to
be sure the right sign out card is in the book.  I'm about to
be automated so I suppose I'll have to think of a different
way to keep *temporary* collections intact.  Anybody have a
suggestion?

Adler   -Cam Jansen series--mysteries
Blume   -Freckle Juice
Bullseye biographies (Random House)--ex: Maya Angelou
Byars   -Golly Sisters series
Cameron -Julian series
Catling -Chocolate Touch
Charbonnet -Tutu Much Ballet
Christopher -Hit Away Kid
Christopher -Lucky Baseball Bat
Christopher -Spy on Third Base
Clifford -Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library-mystery
Clifton -Lucky Stone
Conford -Jenny Archer series
Danziger  -Amber Brown series
Dell Yearling biographies --- ex: Hilary Rodham Clinton
Delton  -Pee Wee Scouts series
Erickson  -Hank the Cow Dog series (harder than most of this list)
Fenner  -Skates of Uncle Richard
Gannett -Dragons of Blueland
Gauch   -Thunder at Gettysburg--historical fiction
Giff    -Kids at the Polk St. School
Giff    -New Kids at the Polk St. School (easier than "KidsAtThePSS")
Greene  -Rookie Biographies (Children's Press)
Greenwald -Rosie Cole series
Hello Reader series, Level 4(Scholastic)--ex:Five Notable Inventors
Howe    -Pinky and Rex series
Hurwitz -Aldo series
Hurwitz -Russell series
Jakes   -Susanna of the Alamo--historical fiction
Kline   -Herbie Jones series
Lovelace -Betsy and Tacy series
Martin  -Baby Sitters Little Sister series
New True Books series (Children's Press)--non-fiction (available in paper)
Park    -Junie B. Jones series
Peterson -Littles series
Skylark Choose Your Own Adventure series--which way type books
Slote   -My Robot Buddy--science fiction
Step Into Reading, Level 4 (Random House)--esp. non-fiction titles
Warner  -Box Car Children series (harder)

Read one aloud of a series, esp. Box Car Children,
and the kids will stretch to read the others!

Joan Kimball (jkim@borg.com)
Clinton, NY
Hart's Hill Elementary School Library
Whitesboro, NY