A few weeks back I asked for any ideas you might have about identifying
primary and secondary sources, especially as it applies to students citing
sources for their History Day projects.  Here is a summary of the
information I received.  Thanks to all who replied.

FROM:  Robyn Dalton, rdalton@esu2.esu2.k12.ne.us

        Check John M. Lannon's 6th edition, "Technical Writing".  A quote
from it:  "Although libraries are a good secondary research source, you may
have to consult firsthand, or primary sources . . ."  Primary sources would
then be personal interviews, questionnaires and surveys, letters of
inquiry, observations and experiments, etc.  If it is a primary source,
they are the originators of the research; however it it is a seconday
source, someone else has already received credit for the research.

FROM:  Gail Faughn,  faughng@freenet.scri.fsu.edu

        A primary source is an original document -- diary, letter, tape,
photo, etc.  It is not an article or report based on someone's research,
interviews, etc.  Examples of primary sources would be a letter written by
John Doe, excerpts from a diary written by John Doe, an autobiography of
John Doe, or photos from John Doe's family album.  Secondary resources
would be things like a newspaper article about John Doe, a book about John
Doe, or a painting of John Doe.  In short, it has to be something John Doe
did himself -- not something another person reported.

FROM:   Edna M. Boardman,  boardman@sendit.nodak.edu

        Ms. Boardman wrote an article entitled, "Who Said LWhat and How?
The Place of Primary Materials in the School Library."  This appeared in
Book Report from March/April 1992.  (good article, by the way)

FROM:   Carolyn Mattern,  CMATTERN@vm1.stier.org

        Suggested a publication entitled, "Consider the Source: Historical
REcords in the Classroom,", from the University of the State of New York,
the State Education Department, State Archives and Records Administration,
Albany NY 12230.

        Other replies I received pretty much mentioned what's already been
included above, so I won't reprint them here.
        Again, many thanks to all who replied.  I've shared the information
with our Educational Consultants, who said that they would, in turn, pass
the information along to teachers whose students were going to do History
Day projects.

Kathy Graves                            kgraves@sisnet.ssku.k12.ca.us
IMC Director/Librarian                  phone: 916-842-8427

Siskiyou Co. Supt. of Schools           FAX:  916-842-8436
609 South Gold Street
Yreka, CA 96097