This is my second year at my school, but I believe that the
Kindergartners have always had check-out privileges.  Last year, I let
EVERYONE scan (including teachers!), with great success.  The Ks get to
scan IF they can tell us their bar code numbers at check-out (1st - 5th
enter their own and scan.).  By spring vacation, most will be entering
their own numbers and scanning.

One of our K assistants came up with a terrific way to help the kids
learn their bar code numbers.  They have to tell her in order to get out
the back door to the playground!!  I reinforce that for four weeks with a
bookmark if they can tell me.  Works great!

We are on flexible scheduling for the first time, with fixed time for K-1
(after much blood, sweat, toil, and TEARS).  We have open check-out from
the time I arrive at 7:30 until I go home before dark.  It is quite a
thrill to have two or three Kindergartners arrive first thing in the
morning to exchange the books they checked out the day before for new
ones.  They also serve as terrific peer tutors.

My advice is--Let 'em at it (including nonfiction)!!

Charlotte M. Bell
Media Coordinator
Archer Elementary School
Greensboro, NC  27407