I agree with the comments that it is misleading to students to tell them
fiction is untrue.  I tell them a book that is a story is fiction--it has a
plot, characters, probably dialogue and you have to read it from beginning
to end to really "get" it.  I use the Little House books and Misty of
Chincoteague as examples of real or true events in fiction books.  Kids have
trouble distinguishing between true and possible--they want to say only
fantasy or sci fi or fairy tales are fiction because it's not possible.
Using story as a synonym for fiction helps them keep it straight.
Mary Helen Fischer, District Librarian
Buckeye Union School District
Shingle Springs CA
jlf@footnet.com