Students will, can, and do search many words that are not
curriculum-related, just to see if they are "in there".   If we confess,
many of us have done the same thing.    Just to see how easy it is, type
in "sex" as a search word in any Internet search mode, and see what you
come up with,   It's pretty unbelievable.

Censorship is not the answer.  Education is.    A strong AUP, a realistic
and thorough information skills program taught by the information expert
in the school (the librarian ), and consequences for actions that are not
consistent with the AUP is the best answer.

Government interfering with freedom of access to information is the worst
possible scenario.

Gail Dickinson

On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Carol Simpson wrote:

> On 10 Feb 1996, Tom Whipple wrote:
>
> > to be so familiar with. I've been using the internet for seven years and =
> > no one has made be view or read anything that I did not go looking for. =
>
> I will second that.  I have NEVER come across anything inappropriate
> (even in the days of less-than-optimum indexing) while doing an
> appropriate search.  Sure, it's quite easy to find porn if you look up
> words like the f-word, or even close variants of appropriate words such
> as "doggy" (as in doggy-style).  Chances of a student searching on those
> terms in a curriculum-related search are slim.  For those who expect that
> students will search on "dog" and find "doggy-style", look for a search
> engine that ranks results based on how close the results conform to the
> original query.  Thus, "dog" is at the top of the list with a result of
> 100, and "doggy" is way down a long list with a rating of 30 or so.
> There is the problem of searching words such as "sexual" as in sexually
> transmitted diseases and locating information on sexual positions). No
> internet advice on that one!  However, information about sexual
> positions isn't considered "indecent" and certainly not pornographic
> when presented in an informational manner.

LM_NET Archive Home