Sorry, I disagree. If there is one thing that working in a high school
library has taught me in twelve years it is that we have a diversity of
students and thata significant number will go looking for the most
indecent material avialble on the net. Personally I'd like them to find a
lot less of it. Rayna

   Rayna Patton, Librarian                Marysville Exempted Village Schools
   Marysville High School                 Voice   513/642-0010
   800 Amrine Mill Rd                     FAX     513/642-2033
   Marysville, Ohio  43040                E'Mail  KMV_PATTON@K12.MEC.OHIO.GOV

On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Carol Simpson wrote:

> On 10 Feb 1996, Tom Whipple wrote:
>
> > to be so familiar with. I've been using the internet for seven years and =
> > no one has made be view or read anything that I did not go looking for. =
>
> I will second that.  I have NEVER come across anything inappropriate
> (even in the days of less-than-optimum indexing) while doing an
> appropriate search.  Sure, it's quite easy to find porn if you look up
> words like the f-word, or even close variants of appropriate words such
> as "doggy" (as in doggy-style).  Chances of a student searching on those
> terms in a curriculum-related search are slim.  For those who expect that
> students will search on "dog" and find "doggy-style", look for a search
> engine that ranks results based on how close the results conform to the
> original query.  Thus, "dog" is at the top of the list with a result of
> 100, and "doggy" is way down a long list with a rating of 30 or so.
> There is the problem of searching words such as "sexual" as in sexually
> transmitted diseases and locating information on sexual positions). No
> internet advice on that one!  However, information about sexual
> positions isn't considered "indecent" and certainly not pornographic
> when presented in an informational manner.

LM_NET Archive Home