> On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Cheryl Sturgeon wrote:
> > -- [ From: Cheryl Sturgeon * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
> >
> > keeps coming up.. The high school principal thinks we should teach typing to
> > the 4th grade.  He wants everyone to touch type BEFORE reaching high school.
> >
> > As a non-traditional typist I think that it is not a necessity and those who
> >  are feel it is essential.
Dear Netters,
     Having worked now for two years in a school where keyboarding and
other computer skills are taught in an organized way from kindergarten on
up, I see the rewards when the students do their CD-ROM and other
electronic searches.  They are fast and confident, and can attend to the
search skills as opposed to the keyboard skills.  Some students are more
proficient and coordinated than others, of course, in any grade!  Where I
see the big advantage is when I watch our new students who have come in
in the upper grades without that background fumble and become frustrated
at the mechanical difficulties of typing in the search.

Roberta Lader
e-mail: lader@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu

LM_NET Archive Home