---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 13:56:35 -0100
From: Anne Clyde <anne@rhi.hi.is>
To: iasl-link@rhi.hi.is
Subject: PUBLICATION IN HONOUR OF JEAN LOWRIE

As many of you know, the IASL Board decided that IASL would publish a book
in honour of Jean Lowrie, the book to comprise a collection of research
articles and papers in the field of school librarianship. It was felt that
an international publication of this nature would reflect many of Jean's
professional interests and concerns. I have been asked to edit this book,
with the help of various people and committees. As ever, there is a very
tight timeline.

I have begun the process by collecting published articles and papers from
the last five years that seemed to meet the criteria for the book - and I
now have around 140 items on the first very long list. I know there is
still some more stuff "out there". The final publication will contain at
most 20 articles and papers. My concern, at the moment (before I begin
shortening the list) is to make sure that I have as much relevant material
as possible from which to choose.

I have created a World Wide Web page on the IASL server, with a
bibliography that is the list of publications that I have now. This page
also has the criteria for selecting the final articles/papers. I would like
as many people as possible to look at this preliminary list. Then,

1.      If I seem to have omitted a favourite article or paper that you
think should be there, send me the bibliographic details by email (and, if
possible, a photocopy by air mail). Note that "research articles" should
discuss the methodology used in the project, as well as the findings - it
is not enough for the author to just mention that the article was based on
research.

2.      If you are the author of one or more of the articles/papers listed,
but think that there is something better of yours that I should be looking
at, then again, please send me the bibliographic details by email and a
photocopy by air mail.

When you look at the Web page, you will see that the criteria for inclusion
are fairly complex, and so it may not be possible to include everyone's
personal favourite (assuming that copyright permission will be given). For
example, the need to include material from as many different countries as
possible, the need to include articles/papers that between them reflect the
use os many different research methodologies, and the need to cover a wide
range of topics in the field of school librarianship, may mean that some
hard choices have to be made.

So, please have a look, and let me know of anything that you feel should be
on the "long list".

Oh yes, finally, the URL of the page:

        http://www.rhi.hi.is/~anne/resbook.html

Cheers,
Anne

* Dr L. Anne Clyde                        Telephone: 354-525 4522 *
* Associate Professor                           Fax: 354-552 6806 *
* Faculty of Social Science                 Email: anne@rhi.hi.is *
* University of Iceland                                           *
* 101 Reykjavik,                 URL: http://www.rhi.hi.is/~anne/ *
* Iceland               URL: http://www.rhi.hi.is/~anne/iasl.html *