Thought some of you might be interested:

CONFERENCE> Non-Traditional Alternatives to Funding Internet in Your School

Where: Best Western Sunrise Hill Inn (at NYS Thruway Exit 44,
                                           Canandaigua, New York
When: Friday, March 8th, 1996 from 8:30 a.m to 12:30 p.m.

Large-scale Internet access in our schools is both necessary and
inevitable but making it happen certainly wont be cheap--or will it? The
traditional methods for funding something like this would be to compete
for  a grant or simply pay for it out of your operating budget as you
would for any other commodity. This inspirational conference will present
you with alternative approaches which may significantly reduce, if not
entirely offset your schools Internet installation and operating costs
while enhancing your visibility as a service provider in your community.

8:30-8:45 Refreshments
8:45-9:00 Introductions & Opening Remarks: by Jack Crawford, Conference
Coordinator

9:00-9:30 Internet and Education in New York. Whats here now; where we
want to go. Keynote address  by Regent Walter Cooper of the NYS Board of
Regents

9:30-10:00 Internet: What does it look like? A quick, live tour of the
Internet to help expand your vision of how and why you and your students
and teachers will use it. Presented by TRCs  Jack Crawford, founder of
K12Net.

10:00-10:30 The Indiana Model: Learn how schools in this state are
implementing a model in which their after-school surplus Internet access
capacity is sold to their community members to offset initial
installation and subsequent operating costs.  Presented by  Les Turner,
Educational Technology Consultant, Northern Indiana State Educational
Service Center.

10:30-10:45  Refreshments

10:45-11:15 A Do-It-Yourself Model: Learn how and why  Ken Graham, former
 Asst  Supt. at  Seaford Schools,  utilized his schools in-house
resources and talents to install their own Internet equipment and domain.
Find out about  costs, logistics, pros and cons to this approach are.

11:15-11:45 The Vivanet Proposal: Learn how this western New York-based
Internet provider may be willing to set up their equipment, modems, phone
lines and Internet trunklines in your building to provide free Internet
access to your schools Local Area Network during the school day while
offering commercial local-call dial-up service to your community during
non-school hours. Presented by David Wolf, President, Vivatron, Inc.
(Rochester, NY)

11:45-12:30  Issues, Questions & Answers with the presenters.
12:30 Networking Buffet Luncheon (optional)

FEES: conference ONLY: $22, Conference WITH LUNCH: $28

Spend the night?? Take advantage of the Sunrise Hill Inns special
conference overnight room rates. Call 716-924-2131 for motel
reservations. (Mention this conference for the special rate)

   | -->SORRY, WE CANNOT ACCEPT  REGISTRATIONS VIA EMAIL! <--|