My little darlings have figured out how to get into the program manager
and change the screensaver to marquee and now twice in two days I have
profanity marching across the screen.  I tried putting a password on the
screensaver, but I must be doing something wrong because,  oops, there
they go again!

My first question is how do I secure the screensaver?  Is there a way to
lock users out of the program manager?

The bigger issue is  how to secure the  computers and software.  From time
to time I get students who innocently mess stuff up by removing pieces of
windows  when they are trying to get the computer to do something but
don't know what they are doing.  So far, no damage has occurred and I have
been able to put everything back in place.  I work alone and feel that
locking the keyboard or having students sign up and checking the computer
after each use would put an impossible burden on me.

I personally feel that the responsibility for
using the computers belongs to the students.  They should have direct
access to the computers for information just like they have direct access
to our print resources.  Am I being hopelessley naive?  I'm sure  this
problem isn't unique to my school.  What successful measures have some of
you taken?

I promised my assistant principal that I would have scads of suggestions
from LM_NET.  This will be the first time he gets to see this listserve in
action.  I'm looking forward to reading your replies.

Audrey Glick
Monroe Traditional Middle School

aglick@freenet.columbus.oh.us

LM_NET Archive Home