I was glad (?) to hear (from Jan's comments yesterday) that Floridians are
not the only ones incensed by Michelangelo's David! Years ago, my high
school Latin teacher passed around a postcard of the statue (from a summer
trip she took) with an index card strategically paper-clipped across the
middle!  About 20 years ago, I had a parent roar into the media center
demanding that I remove a "dirty" book from the shelves -- the good old
"Rainbow Book of Art" with the David on a full page.  Fortunately, no one
connected to my school has objected to him since.

I'll never forget a very serious little fourth grade girl telling me I had
a book with nasty pictures on my classroom shelves.  When I asked her to
show me, she brought up a children's picture book on the Pueblo Indians;
she considered the loin cloths to be less than acceptable dress!  (I wonder
what her reaction was when she went to the beach near her house; those
Indians would be pretty conservatively dressed there.)

Gail Faughn
Astoria Park Elementary School
2465 Atlas Road
Tallahassee, FL 32303