Hi fellow LM_NETTERS,

I have been reading with great interest and even concern, the
flow of the discussion re: library lessons.

Now that the thread has woven itself to "school Librarian blues"
and to image, I wanted to say how relieved I was to hear from
people like Diane, Cherly, Joan and Deborah as well as many others, who were
taking a positive stance on the whole topic.

If we are looking for enough time, help, appreciation of our job,
office space etc., we are going to have to go heaven to get it.
(And I have no doubt that we all see each other there - for our
good deeds!). What we need is an attitude that gives us the
initiative to make things happen with the resources we have.

As teacher-librians in Canada, we are viewed for the most part as
teachers by our teaching colleagues, especially if our library
program focuses on "Cooperative Program Planning" with classroom
teachers and pushing the benefits of resource-based learning for
students.  But their view of us and our work is still often
skewed and it is up to us to enlighten them and our
adiminstrators of our important role in educating students.
Taking a pro-active stance and putting our best foot forward is
essential.  Sometimes that means: building our own "expertise"
and letting others know about it; looking for allies and
potential allies, developing techniques for involving reluctant
teachers and administrators, developing a sense of timing and
acting stategically. Sounds like ADVOCACY to me.

I really liked some of the ideas shared by this listserv in the
last day or two re ideas that help our IMAGE.

Here's just a few that I have used successfully:
     * I have a column in the monthly newsletter that goes home
to the parents, highlighting units that are developed in the
library, visiting authors, exciting new materials and special
events taking place in the library
     * I developed a school library brochure that I give out at
our open house that features the library programs
     * I am on the staff meeting agenda every month -featuring
new resources, programs, succesful units, technologies,(eg new
CD-ROMS) listservs, URLS of special interest (absolutely no
mention of overdues or complaints)
     * I make regular presentation to the home and school re:
library programs
     * Because of the increased interest in the internet etc., I
have embarked on a series of "lunch and learn Netscape" with my
staff once a week.

These are only some of the efforts that I feel are making a difference.
Let's keep sharing ideas as Cheryl has suggested and we can all
benefit !!

Cheers,
Reesa Cohen
Dr. D.W.Penner School