Several weeks ago I posted a question regarding the pros & cons
of EBSCO's Full Text Elite & UMI's Proquest Resource One Full
Text.  Many thanks to those who responded.

I had hoped to be persuaded to purchase one or the other
program by a landslide in favor of either program!  However,
the responses were pretty much equal--7 in favor of UMI's
product, and 6 in favor of EBSCO.

Some responses concerning Proquest:
  "changed from Ebsco to Proquest because magazines offered
   were titles that students asked for"
  "easy for students to use"
  "UMI's price is better"
  "no problems running on a network"
  "works well on a single station--much difficulty networking it"
  "list of magazines seems more usable for high school kids"
  "full text immediately follows abstract"

  "screens are easier to read, easier to customize"
  "easier to run on a Novell network"
  "switched from Resource One to EMAS Elite...Ebsco carried
   more titles"
  "space to include local holdings & built-in local statistics"
  "speech & English teachers like Ebsco Elite better than Proquest"
  "unlimited number of users on network at no additional charge"
  "far superior as far as number of journals offered in full text
   & range of titles indexed"
  "preferred search strategies & administrative controls"

In support of both:
  "technical support & customer service has been excellent"
  "both seem to be comprehensive"

Generally, people seemed to be pleased with what they use.
I came to the conclusion that both must be good products.

So....I've done my homework but the bottom line is - I still
have to make my own decision!  I'm leaning toward Ebsco at
this time.  Thanks again to all who responded.

                LaQuita Dinkins * ldinkin@tenet.edu * Librarian
       Levelland High School * 1400 Hickory Street * Levelland, TX 79336
                    phone 806-894-8515  *  fax 806-894-8867

LM_NET Archive Home