>There will always be people who think we have it easier than everyone else.
 Much of our job is PR.  It takes extra work, but it's worth the effort.-Audrey

Audrey raises an excellent point. Unfortunately, we all know all too well
the imageour predecessors had: mousy, old, anal retentive, retiring, shy
people who had little fortitude unless some one was being noisy! Good PR is
our best  defense. It is going to take a good deal for us, as a
profesional, to overcome this  image and take the place we should have in
schools and in society in general.

That's why I am so adamant that the local librarians insist on automation
and Internet access points for the library. Internet is our big opportunity
to take the bull by the horns and move our profession to the forefront in
more people's eyes.

Oh-oh, there she goes again................

Although I am one of the most apolitical people in the world, I am afraid I
have to thank the Clinton/Gore folks for their push closer to the top. This
Goals 2000 program has opened eyes around here. The local powers that be
want to know how to help the library get these things moving. When they
found out we are already working on it, they were very impressed. In fact,
there has been a "royal edict." The 3 of us who have been working so hard
on this movement have been invited to the Governor's manison next week to
discuss the Future.....wish us luck!

Guam is fifteen hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time
--livin' in the future -- ain't Life grand!

T. K. Cassidy - Children's Librarian  /////// Guam Public Library System
                         - Resident Storyteller/Writer ///////
tkc@kuentos.guam.net

LM_NET Archive Home