In imitation of Bonnie Fulmer who so generously shared the Valentine's Day
Literary Couples Contest idea, here is one I plan for Academy Awards week. It
will be advertised as being "In celebration of the Oscars - A Contest for
those of a Certain Age".
The library can offer only limited resources for answers but I think it will
be a fun challenge and a conversation piece for staff.

The current issue of "Life" has a double page spread of a famous photograph
taken in 1943 of Louis B. Mayer and sixty five of his MGM stars. My challenge
will be to name as many of the actors and actresses as possible. I was able
to name just about forty.

I have laminated the original and made a copy. On the copy I placed a dot of
White-Out on each figure in the photo and printed a number on each one. I'll
hang the copy and an envelope of entry forms in the faculty room and place
the original in the library.
Additional copies will also be available. The prize will be gift certificate
to a video rental store.

This should be a lot of fun for those us early baby boomers and others who
remember the "Syncopated Clock" theme song of the daily 5PM CBS movie time of
the 1950's. We grew up with these stars.

Hildegard N. Pleva
Linden Avenue Middle School, Red Hook, New York
hpleva@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home