     We had a similar situation in our elementary school this year. Fourth
and fifth grades were both overloaded but there were not enough students in
either one to open new classes (or enough funding). A fourth/fifth
combination was formed from the top students in each grade. They were
placed with a very creative and resourceful teacher who does many
enrichment activities which these children need, but the regular classroom
teachers have difficulty planning and carrying out due to trying to deal
with so many levels of students in their classes. As far as the 4th/5th
teacher, parents, and children are concerned, this has been very
successful.

LM_NET Archive Home