On this note, I recently replied to a library student who said the
Masters program in Columbus was unstable.  I'm not admitting to gray
(don't talk to that hairdresser downtown), but we're not going to work
forever, at least I'm not.  I'm looking forward to possibly retiring in 4
years, at 52, with 30 years of service and moving on to some related line
of work.  Are there enough library school students to take our place, or
will this be a convenient way to *consolidate* positions (read: hire one
person to fill three jobs)?

Karen Langley  KTT_LANGLEY@K12.mec.ohio.gov

> what I meant by "graying".  I intended to use the word only as a metaphor
> of the number of years in the school system.  I myself am almost 50 and
> am not slowing down.  But after 20 years of trying to convince the
> educational community and the general public how great librarians are--I
> am getting a little tired of the PR work.  My point about "graying" is
> that there is a tendency not to replace people who retire but to spread
> the rest of the librarians a little thinner.
> Carol Harma, Guy Lee Elem, Springfield, OR charma@efn.org

LM_NET Archive Home