Hello from a brand new LMNETTER!  I was intrigued by the wonderful use of
one of my favorite genres together with the science behind the scenes.  I
have two things to add--

One of my most treasured memories is of an evening more than 25 years
ago when my father and I went to a lecture at Greensboro College (I was a
music student at UNCGreensboro).  The speaker was Arthur C. Clarke.  (My
father had handed me the "old masters" when I was eight and opened the
universe to me.)  We basked in that delightful man's love for our world
for nearly three hours.  The surprise came in the subject matter--not
space, but the sea.  He shared his vision for feeding this world with
that untapped bounty.  What a shame so little of what he dreamed at that
time has come to pass.

The second thing has to do with Orson Scott Card.  I have lived most of
my life in Greensboro, where this gifted writer makes his home.  Imagine
both my husband's and my delight as we read Ender's Game and recognized
both landmarks and the school where my mother taught!!  Several years
later, I was managing a locally owned bookstore, and managed to snag Mr.
Card for a book signing (no small feat).  It was great!

I am thoroughly enjoying reading all "my" mail."  I have already gotten
some ideas, and know that I'll be asking for help from all of you in the
future.

Charlotte M. Bell
Media Coordinator
Archer Elementary School