This message is a combination of the request made for answer to questions
about reconsideration and my thoughts on the subject.

Is the decision made for the school where the material is challenged, or do
all schools abide by the decision? That is, if a book is removed from one
elementary library, for example, is it also removed from other school
libraries in your district?

        Our district has three buildings and each serves different grade
levels.  It is my understanding, however, that a decision made by the
committee would cover the building the material was challenged in and
possibly affect other buildings in the district.  Our buildings are K-3,
4-6, 7-12.

 Can the same material be challenged again?

         Yes, of course the material can be challenged again.  You can't
control whether or not you will have a challenge anymore than you could
control the rain, but the committee can set up, as part of the policy, a
plan to handle duplicate complaints by saying that the committee will make
a decision about rehearing a former case.

After what time period?

         The length of time could be determined by the committee and
written into the policy.

Can the same material be challenged at other locations in the district, even
though a decision has already been made on the item at one school?

        Yes, it could be challenged again, but the question is will you
want to reconsider it again if you have already spend the time and had the
meetings to provide this due process.  You probably won't want to
reconsider an item in May that you reconsidered in April of the same year.
Three years later if you received another complaint about the same title
you may want to reconsider again.

What are the decisions the reconsideration can make when voting on a
challenged material?

        The committee, which I like to call the Selection Review Committee,
can make these decisions, 1.  Keep the title unrestricted.   2.  Limit the
use of the material.  3.  Ban or censor the title and remove it from the
library or curriculum.

Is there an appeal process in your policy?

        Yes, our policy states that if the complainant is dissatisfied with
the decision of the committee they can appeal to the school board and the
State Department of Education.  (It is always the citizens right to go to
court.)

        The Iowa Department of Education has a model selection policy that
includes a process to follow for reconsideration of materials.  I have a
very good policy that was written in our district and I am happy to share
this policy with others.  I do feel that the time to deal with these
questions is at the time when the selection policy is being developed.

Kathy Geronzin
Northeast MS-HS
Goose Lake, IA 52750

LM_NET Archive Home