I must interject a comment here....WHY has someone, in particular, your
onsite computer guru, by whatever title, NOT given lessons on plagarism?

In our school district, before I was even hired, I had to read and sign a
statement (one page front AND back) which discussed plagarism and copyright
laws.  This was then posted in my Technology Center, and is an integral part
of our District Technology Master Plan.  ALL staff members have the "rules"
explained at staff meetings and during the first technology inservice each
year and are reminded constantly as to what is, and is not, acceptable use.
 Copyright laws are even part of our student handbook.  We are mandated to
inform students of the "rules" and I find myself CONSTANTLY reinforcing the
"don't forget to quote your source" for bibliographies, etc.

As for your observations of the camp, I believe that the instructors took the
"easy" way out to show HOW to use HyperStudio...In their zeal to produce a
product in only two weeks, they put quantity before quality...I would like to
THINK that that is what happened.  There is a great deal of teaching that
goes into preparing a HyperStudio presentation in such a short time
frame...perhaps they opted for a finished product quickly, instead of a
quality product which was technically correct?

SOMEONE needs to provide staff AND students with information prior to
projects---and STRESS the penalities inherent when one abuses or ignores the
rules...I, for one, neither wish to compromise my position, nor my site, nor
incur any financial penalities for copyright infringement...IF the penalities
for such misuse are explained and STRESSED, I don't believe you will have
these situations.

Jane Coffey
Computer Technician
Dutcher Elementary