julie lepisto <0362lfsh@INFORMNS.K12.MN.US> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a security application similar to At Ease  that can be
> used on IBM compatibles?  We will be using both DOS and windows 95 on
> ethernet and Novell.

I have just begun to investigate the use of McAfee's _Saber LAN
Workstation_ for use in our county.  I have set it up on a "stand-alone"
computer in order to learn to use it.  I think it will fullfil our needs
as an "At Ease equivalent."  It provides security, workstation
management and software metering for systems runnning DOS, Windows 3.1x
and Windows 95 over Novell Netware 2.x through 4.x.

I have been so far most impressed by its ease of installation and
configuration (at least on a stand-alone system).  It claims many features
which I think will be very valuable to me as a network administrator.  I
have experienced a few GPFs [Similar to a Mac's System "Bomb" (?)] when
using it, but I believe them most likely due to my trying to push the
boundaries of what my paltry test computer can handle.

The manufacturer is:

McAfee Associates
2710 Walsh Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95051

Telephone:  800-332-9966

McAfee has a promotional web document on Saber LAN Workstation at:

http://www.mcafee.com/prod/netmgt/netngt.html

I am not prepared to recommend _for_ or _against_ it, as I do not yet have
enough experience with its use.

Good luck in your search.  I hope this information helps.

Roger Mulligan
Computer / LAN technician
Washington County Public Schools
Hagerstown, MD