Peter -

Specifics will vary depending on: what kind of computer? what kind of
disk? what kind of files?

Generally Norton Utilities -- version 3.2 is the latestest (available for
both Mac and PC) will recover at least the text of the files MOST of the
time; Symantec also sells a product called MacTools Pro (version 4.0 is
the latest) which used to be sold by Central Point Software (bought out
by Symantec). I use both, and one or the other will *usually* work. I
don't know if anyone specializes in recovering data from a floppy;
DriveSavers in Novato CA will recover stuff from a crashed hard drive
(NOT cheap!) 415-382-2000 (I have no connection with this company, BTW!)

Once your have performed the miracle requested, and your principal has
calmed down, teach him the NUMBER ONE LESSON in computing:

        BACK UP         BACK UP         BACK UP
                        !!!!!

Joyce Conklin            jconkli@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us
San Mateo Union High School District (ret.)
San Mateo, CA

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Peter Salesses wrote:

> I have received a disk from my principal that contains his personal files that
> he has not been able to retrieve.  If you know of a respected company that may
> be able to retrieve these files for him (me), please contact me ASAP. TIA
> Peter

LM_NET Archive Home