     As a long time Mac user, and the person who buys computers for
my school, I have to disagree with Judy. All Macs shipping now have
16 MB of Ram, multi-tasking is not a problem. I also suspect that
Judy may be talking about beta versions of Netscape. Some of the
betas were unreliable. I'm using Netscape 3.05b, and I'm not having
any problems. I don't use IBM's that often,only if I am giving a workshop
at another site, and have to use an IBM lab.  Our high school librarian is
using Winnebago IBM, and is going to switch the library to Winnebago Mac. I
find Mac's much easier to use and maintain than IBM's.
    As far as discounts are concerned, give MacWarehouse a call,
and ask to speak to someone about Academic pricing. Not only are their
prices very competitive, but they will get software for you from other
companies.They charge $3 for overnight shipping.
     Good luck, it's not an easy choice to make!
Gail Grainger
Chest.Sch.Lib@top.monad.net

>After using MAC at work, and IBM at hom, I thin I can help. The memory
>problem--and what you get for your $$ is a significant difference. MAC
>friends keep buying more memory and it's never enough.Built-in modems are
>super. WIN95 almost completely knocks out the multi-tasking problems that
>the IBMers had in the past. In fact the only significant difference I
>personally see now--is the memeory thing. One interesting note--and I
>don't really know enough to understand,but when I discussed upgrading
>Netscape at work--our techie geniuses--and these guys are good--seemed
>re4ally negative about reliability etc. even though they were more than
>willing to help me at home with the IBM. Also, I sew and MAC isn't
>supported by most of the upscale sewing machines--not important to most
>folks,I know. but it may be part of the trend I've been hearing--no
>upgrades for MAC. Friends who have frequented local computer stores(where
>we get a professional discount)came back feeling like the "second-born
>son"--like how dare you want anything,you scum. I do not have the money
>at work to  upgrade my limp memory--I shut down Netscape to print--pretty
>grim!Just a personal .02

LM_NET Archive Home