Jenny Giambalvo requested suggestions for a list of books depicting other
cultures for a middle school curriculum.  We have  been doing this for the
past two years, so am sharing the bibliography we use.  These happen to be
books we own and therefore there are some great titles that are not
included.  An excellent bibliographic source is "Multicultural Literature
for Children and Young Adults" 3rd. ed. by Ginny Moore Kruse and Kathleen T.
Horning.  Published by the Cooperative Children's Book Center at the
University of Wisconsin-Madison. Phone 608 263-3720.  Publication available
from Publication Sales, Wisconsin Dept. of Public Instruction, P.O. Box
7841, Madison Wi. 53707-7841.  1-800-243-8782.

This listing includes Native American cultures, depictions of cultures of
other countries, and immigration stories as well as works by authors of
various cultures.  Some may be more suitable to high school students (we
have a 6-12 library).
Please forgive truncation--I'm keying from a database list.

Angell, Judie           One-way to Ansonia
Bawden, Nina            Carrie's War
Bell, William             Forbidden city
Bolton, Carole          The search of Mary Katherine...
Bourliaguet, L           The guns of Valmy
Bishop, Claire           Twenty and ten
Buck, Pearl                Various titles......
Buss, Fran Leep       Journey of the sparrows
Choi, Sook Nyul...      Year of impossible goodbyes
Cordell, Elexander      Witches Sabbath
Clark, Ann Nolan        To stand against the wind
Clark, Ann Nolan         Santiago
Clarke, Arthur              Dolphin Island
Clarke, Judith               The heroic life of Al Cap......
Clifford, Mary               Bisha of Burundi
Crew, Linda                  Children of the River
Cummings, Betty        Now, Ameriky
Dickinson, Pete           AK
Forman, James D.      Ceremony of Innocence
Garland, Sherry           Shadow of the dragon
Garrigue, Sheila          The Eternal Spring of Mr. Ito
George, Jean Cra.      Shark beneath the reef
Gilman, Dorothy          Caravan
Hall, Lyn                        A horse called dragon
Hrtling, Peter                Crutches
Hathorn, Elizabeth      Thunderwith
Haugaard, Erik             A messenger for Parliament
Hersey, John                Hiroshima
Hesse, Karen               Letters from  Rifka
Highwater, Jam.          The sun he dies
Irwin, Hadley                 Kim/Kimi
Jones, Toeckey            Go well, stay well
Kelly, Regina                 Miss Jefferson in Paries
Kerr, Judith                   When Hitler stole pink rabbit
Kipling, Rudyard          Various titles
Kjelgaard, Jim              Boomerang hunter
Koehn, Ilse                     Tilla
Levitin, Sonia                The golem & the dragon gi.....
Livitin, Sonia                   Journey to America
Lord, Bette                     In the year of the boar....
Lowry, Lois                    Number the stars
Maartens, Maret...        Paper Bird
Macdonald, Caro..        Speaking to Miranda
Mahy, Margaret            Various titles (she's from New Zealand)
Malterre, Elona             Last wolf of Ireland
Marsden, John              So much to tell you
Moeri, Louise                The forty-third war
Morpurgo, Mich...         Waiting for Anya
Moskin, Mariett..           I am Rosemarie

Continued in Part 2.

Anne Oelke                     | "Some days are like that,
acoelke@peoples.net            |  even in Australia!"
Cambria-Friesland School Dst.  |  Judith Viorst in _Alexander
Cambria, WI                    | & the Terrible, Horrible,
                               | No Good, Very Bad Day_.

LM_NET Archive Home