Karen,

We had our first Internet access via free dial in accounts last year in all
of our schools. Some schools put phone lines in classrooms which they were
able to share for Internet access with students.

We  proposed an AUP to our school board as soon as we found out that we'd
get the PPP accounts. Many on our board are quite conservative and were
reluctant to even consider Internet access for students. We persuaded them
to approve the policy by taking them to a 5th grade classroom where
students had been using the Internet with their teacher. On the day of the
visit, students were exploring the Metropolitan Museum on the web as a
follow-up to their class reading of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil
M. Frankweiler. The students ooed and ahed when they actually found the
very rooms where the children had hidden in the museum. This visit and the
phone calls to the board from almost every parent in that class went far in
convincing our board that the Internet is a worthwhile educational tool.
They then adopted our AUP with very little fanfare.

   paula

 Paula Galland       paula@gnatnet.net       St. Simons Island, GA
       Glynn County Schools - http://www.gnatnet.net/~paula