Folks, after many suggestions, leads and so forth, here are the two sites
for *collections* of School Library Internet AUPs I will be referencing in
my September AL column:

Rice University AUP Site
gopher://riceinfo.rice.edu:1170/11/More/Acceptable
Pros: many policies.   Cons: some not dated--not sure who maintains this
site or when it was last updated.

The Internet Advocate
http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~lchampel/netadv.htm
Pros: good sample policies, tutorials, etc.  Eclectic and interesting.
Cons: as a personal site, will this be here in six months?

Two other sites recommended by some folks didn't pan out. First, AskERIC
proved very hard to search, and then seemed to point primarily to the Rice
site.  Second, Classroom Connect linked almost exclusively to policies for
other types of libraries--something accomplished better by the three sites
referenced on the WEB4LIB Reference Center, at:

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/faq.html

But again, we were looking for collections of *school library* policies.
It would be nice if one of the sites above focused very intentionally on
archiving and indexing these policies.  If such a site exists already, and
we all missed it, hooray--and let's have that URL! Meanwhile, bon appetit!

Karen G. Schneider * kgs@bluehighways.com * schneider.karen@epamail.epa.gov
Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman@icm.com)
Director, US EPA Region 2 Library * Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries
Visit our library at http://www.epa.gov/Region2/html/library/
These opinions strictly mine!

LM_NET Archive Home