Hi
Sorry about the delay in sending the recipe.
There were so many requests for lamington recipes that I thought I would
post the recipe to the whole list.  Day old or partly frozen cake pieces are
best to work with. Fresh cake will fall apart from all the handling.
You can use any sort of plain butter cake or even a sponge recipe.
I hope I have converted Australian ingredient names successfully to US
equivalents.

Cake recipe (or use your own)
6 eggs (2oz size)
3/4 cup castor sugar (this is finer than ordinary sugar)
1 cup self-raising flour (this is plain -all purpose??? flour- with baking
powder added)
1/3 cup cornflour
1/3 cup hot water
1/2 oz butter, melted
3 cups dessicated coconut  (like shredded, but more finely chopped)

Chocolate Icing
4 cups icing sugar (this is confectioner's sugar or powdered sugar???)
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 oz butter, melted
1/2 cup milk

Grease a 9" square or an 11' x 7" slab cake tin.
Beat eggs in medium bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy;
gradually add sugar, beat until dissolved between each addition. Transfer
mixture to large bowl, fold in sifted flours, then combined water and
butter. Pour into prepared pan, bake in moderate oven (about 375 deg. F) for
about 35 min. Stand 5 min. before turning onto wire rack to cool.
For best results leave overnight or partly freeze when cool. Trim crusts
from cake. Cut into 2"-2 1/2"  squares. Dip each piece in icing, toss in
coconut, stand on wire rack to set.
(You may have to put the bowl of icing back over hot water if the icing
starts to get thick again
Dipping the cake into the icing and then rolling it in coconut is
 _very _ messy. Use forks to dip and  large bowls to put the icing and
coconut in. )

Chocolate icing
Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a heatproof bowl, stir in butter and milk,
stir over hot water until icing is smooth.
Sue Venables
Subject Liaison Librarian (Social Sciences)
UWS-Hawkesbury
Richmond, NSW, Australia, 2753.